Founded in September of 1565, St. Augustine is a city that holds the title as the oldest continuously occupied European-established settlement and port in the continental United States. It is a popular travel destination due to the history surrounding the city and the beautiful architecture seen in the Spanish colonial-era style buildings and houses.
For travelers interested in taking a trip to this historic city, there are many wonderful things to do and see, including:
• Castillo de San Marcos National Monument – This is the oldest remaining European fort in the United States, and is an incredible place to learn about the history and culture of St. Augustine.
• Lightner Museum – Consisting of three floors, the Lightner Museum showcases relics of the late 19th century, including Victorian art glass, cut glass, and stained glass.
• St. Augustine Lighthouse and Museum – Travelers have the opportunity to walk the nature trail, take a self-guided tour of the museum to visit various exhibits, or ascend up the steps to the top of the lighthouse to see astonishing views of St. Augustine and the Atlantic Ocean.
• Anastasia Island – Spend a day on the water at Anastasia State Park, which features four miles of beaches, a tidal salt marsh, and maritime and upland hammock. It is a full-facility campground with many fun activities to try, like windsurfing, hiking, kayaking, fishing, and more.
• Oldest Wooden Schoolhouse – Take a moment to tour the oldest wooden schoolhouse to learn about life in St. Augustine for children in the 1700s.
This is just a sampling of all the things to do in St. Augustine, the historic city located less than two hours away from our apartments in Alachua, Florida. Make it a day trip or stay in the city for a long weekend to enjoy all the different experiences, activities, and museums.
To learn more about One 51 Place and all the amenities we provide, contact us today or stop by our leasing office.